Skipping meals have more side effects than having benefits. The consequences of skipping meals include the risk of developing diabetes, inadequate nutrition, binging at the next meal.
One typically skips meals for two main reasons.
• There is not enough time to grab a quick snack in our busy lives.
• And the other reason people miss a meal is in order to lose weight.
Reasons Not to Skip Meals -
* When the meals are spread over a day, adequate nutrition can be ensured. Skipping meals reduces the nutrient intake as the varieties of foods are decreased.
* When you skip meals you are not giving your body the energy it needs to properly function.
* Skipping meals leads to late-night cravings.
* People tend to overeat when they are extremely hungry. Skipping meals causes you to reach that hunger level where you consume just about anything and forget when to stop.
* Skipping meals is known to cause low blood sugar.
* Skipping meals delays insulin response, which can lead to diabetes.
* An empty stomach and dropping blood sugar can affect your mood. It can also cause fatigue, irritability.
Skipping Meals Alternative -
Some alternatives to skipping meals are:
1. If you are trying to lose weight, limiting the portion size is a better alternative rather than skipping meals.
2. One should be eating six meals throughout the day. Most of the people tend to eat only three to four times in a day. It’s basically about ‘healthy snacking’ throughout the day. So, six small meals daily is the key.
3. Make the right choices of food.
If your busy life is the culprit then do read our article: Work Place Snacks : Easy and Healthy Options