Aging is a natural process that cannot be stopped. Aging brings wrinkled and sagging skin which can make you look old and dull. But, it can be slowed down by following a few steps like - altering your food intake, reducing stress and exercising regularly. Optimum nutrition plays a role in slowing down the aging process, as the food which you eat impacts your body.
Certain nutrients like healthy fats, minerals, vitamins, antioxidants and phytonutrients help in slowing the aging process. Here are some ways:
• Cut off sugar – Sugars are known to give empty calories and spike blood sugar level but they can also make your skin age faster. Excess sugar in the body makes the skin proteins get dehydrated. This makes skin lose its elasticity and look very dull and pale.
• Sip water more often - Our bodies are made mostly of water. If your body is dehydrated, the skin will start losing its elasticity and moisture resulting in faster aging. Water is essential to keep the cells moist and reduce aging.
• Aim for more antioxidants – Free radicals damage cells and make your cells age faster. To combat this, antioxidants like vitamins A, C, E, beta carotenes are needed, as they fight free radicals. You can include blueberries, broccoli, citrus fruits, nuts and a variety of fruits and vegetables for getting sufficient antioxidants in your diet.
• Include optimum protein – Protein is essential for tissue formation. Collagen is a type of protein which helps in strengthening skin, hair and nails. Consume adequate protein to reduce aging. It helps prevent sagging of skin, premature aging and manages over all health.
• Include healthy fats – Healthy fats like omega- 3 fatty acids, which can be obtained from salmon, walnuts, flax seeds help lubricate skin internally. It also protects from oxidative damage and help skin look more radiant with glow.
• Beat stress – Cortisol which is a stress hormone, when released in the body, drains out essential minerals like vitamins B5, B6, C which are required for good health and healthy glowing skin. To combat this, reduce stress by including some form of physical activity/ exercise during the day and a good amount of sleep in the night. Recreational activities like music can also help reduce stress.
Foods like fish, green leafy vegetables, berries, herbs slow down aging and a combination of the above-mentioned activities and foods can help you give more glowing and radiant skin.
Avoid junk foods or processed foods which contain trans fats and refined sugars which make you age faster. Additives and artificial flavours can also make you age faster. Limit the intake of alcohol, as it also may speed up the process of aging.
The essential oils containing vitamin E can also help to slow down the aging process and a combination of these can make your skin glow and make you look younger.