Social Physique Anxiety, also known as SPA, is a feeling of distress and discomfort associated with the perceived evaluation of one’s physical self. It is helpful to understand the signs of SPA and how it affects our routine. To overcome a hurdle, we need to see it clearly and then set goals so that we overcome the hurdle.
Here are some signs of Social Physique Anxiety.
- Low self-esteem and self-concept
- Anxious being in social groups
- Difficulty talking to others in a comfortable manner
- Constant feeling of embarrassment
- Feeling of being judged by others
- Public events might bring up a lot of discomfort and worry
- Difficulty in making and keeping friends
- Public presence, general discussions and group chats could trigger sweating, blushing, and trembling.
- Public presence and group discussions could cause sweating, blushing, and trembling
- Feeling nauseous around other people
- Digestive issues, stomach upset
- Muscle and body pains
Once you have gone through the checklist of signs, you might want to see the areas that are constantly challenging you:
- Constant feeling of inadequacy
- Constant struggle to find clothes
- Leading an healthy lifestyle
- Checking mirrors constantly
- Avoiding being photographed
- Asking for re-assurances about your appearance
- Excessive use of make-up/clothes/expensive accessories to make up for low self-image
To learn how to deal with SPA, read Social Physique Anxiety or speak to one of our counsellors.